Lotus Notes, also known as HCL Notes, is an email system with many features similar to other leading email clients like Outlook. It uses standard mail protocols like SMTP and POP3 and can be used by administrators as a complete e-mail environment. Lotus Notes files have.NSF extension, and migrating them to Outlook, which supports PST file format, would require a converter software. While many tools are available, we found Stellar Converter for NSF to be the best tool for this task. Here’s an honest review of this product, so you can also decide if this tool can solve your purpose. This review will tell you how to use Stellar Converter for NSF, its benefits & performance.
Let me begin with the Software’s features
- Conversion from NSF to PST: The Stellar Converter for NSF converts the.NSF extension files to PST format, which keeps the data and formatting of the files similar to their original state. You can also directly export the converted file to Outlook, as the data exists in its original form.
- File Preview Before Finally Saving It: You can verify the data in the file, before saving it. The software gives you a chance to verify if everything is the same as the original, thereby ensuring data integrity.
- Easy Search Option for NSF files: If you do not know the exact location of your NSF files in the system, it can help you locate them using its ‘Find’ feature, thus saving your time.
- Free Conversion from NSF to PST: You can convert for free up to 10 items per folder. If you wish to convert more items, you would have to purchase the Technician edition. The Technician will allow you to convert unlimited NSF files into PST file format, using the ‘Batch Conversion’ feature.
- Export Directly to Outlook or Office 365: If you want to migrate from an on-premise Lotus Notes Server directly to MS Office365, you can do so with this software. But, for this, you would need its Technician version. Simply enter your Office 365 account details in the Technician version and all the NSF mailbox items will be directly exported to your account.
- Conversion into Different Formats: The NSF files can be converted into many file formats available in the software, such as PDF, MSG, RTF, HTML, and EML.
- Compatibility with Windows and Lotus Notes: The Stellar Converter for NSF is compatible with Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, and Windows Vista. Also, Lotus Notes version from 10.0.1 to 6.0 and MS Outlook from 2019 to older versions.
Take an Insight into Software Performance
Just like any other software, this one is also dependent on your system specifications. You would not need high-end hardware to run this software on your system. Below are the minimum requirements of this software:
- RAM: 4GB RAM (recommendable is 8GB)
- Operating System: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- Processor: Pentium Class
- Storage space: 250 MB
How to Use This Software for NSF to PST File Conversion?
I must say that the software is easy to use, and let me take you through the steps to convert Lotus Notes or HCL Notes NSF files to Outlook PST file format. Before conversion, make sure you have Lotus Notes and Outlook installed on your system:
Download the software from stellar website and begin the installation by double-clicking on download button. This will start the installation process.
Once the installation is complete, launch the Stellar Converter for the NSF tool. You will see a window ‘Select NSF File’ on the home screen.
Click on ‘Browse’ and choose your NSF file. If you do not know the exact location, you may click on ‘Find’ button to locate all the NSF files in your system. After choosing the NSF file, select ‘Convert.’
You will see a preview of all your NSF mailbox items, like emails, calendars, notes, reminders, etc. after conversion. Further, choose ‘Save Converted Files.’
You will see a popup window with different options to save the file, like MSG, EML, HTML, and more. Since I wanted to convert into PST file format, I selected PST file format. Then, click on Next. You can also click on ‘Don’t save folder named ‘All’ as it contains duplicate data’ and this will not save any duplicate items.
When the ‘Choose Destination’ window appears, select ‘Browse’ and choose the location to save your file. Further, choose ‘OK’ to begin the saving process.
When the process is complete, you will see a ‘Saving Complete’ dialog box. Finally, click on ‘OK’.
I must say this software gives you exactly what it offers, i.e., you will get a precise conversion of your NSF files to PST. So, you will not have to deal with a long manual method where your data integrity may get compromised. You can first download the demo version like I did, and once you are satisfied with the software features, you can buy the complete license key. The software is also 100% accurate, and it keeps all your mailbox items, like reminders, emails, attachments, and contacts intact. Also, the structure and mailbox hierarchy is maintained like before. So, on a scale of 1-5, I would give it 4.8 out of 5, and you must go for it if you are willing to convert your Lotus Notes or HCL notes.NSF file into PST file format.