2020 didn’t see the launch of too many smartphones but a lot of interesting concepts were highlighted nevertheless. From all-screen smartphones to feature cell phones, foldable screen to rolling screen, a lot were teased online. However, in the end, comparing two smartphones or cellphones is an in-depth matter and takes time. As cell phones are growing more and more sophisticated with tons of apps, hardware, testing each and every component, taking its performance into account, and then pairing it with another cell phone takes time. Below, in this article, you can get the information about how to compare 2 cell Phones?
Specifications of Two Cell Phones
The first comparison is always based on the hardware the cell phones come with. In the beginning, it deals with the specifics like dimensions, weight, and the availability of headphone jack or the presence of a fingerprint scanner. This list also includes internal hardware like the CPU, the RAM, and the cooling system and so on. Here is a list of things to check right out of the box and decide which a better product is.
- The details behind the box should be read properly.
- Pay attention to the chip, the CPU used inside.
- How much is the RAM in it?
- Check the internal storage which is important if it is not expandable.
- Check the dimensions of the cell phone.
- Does it have a fingerprint scanner, if yes, internal or external
- How many cameras does it have?
- What is the glass protection on the top, if it has a touch screen interface?
Once the above specifications are set aside, each and every component can be tested for its efficacy. Below is a list of things you can do.
- Test the various cameras, take samples, and test in day and night under low light and so on.
- Test and the responsiveness of the smartphone under various loads.
- Check for the cooling system, for longer usage and hours of work.
- Test the connectivity problems, reception of the antenna.
- Check the speakers of the cell phone for loudness, clarity, and overall quality at different levels.
- Check for heating issues, connectivity issues and so on.
When one goes through all the above things one by one, you can compare two cell phones and figure out which is good. But, of course, take into consideration the budget of the two products. There are three categories of cellphones as per budget: low-end, mid-end, and high-end or flagship products.
Using a Comparison Tool or Website
A lot of people just don’t have the time and energy to test such elaborately. Even if they had, they don’t have access to a test piece. In these cases, using the help of professional comparison tools and websites is the best idea. There are several websites like https://vs.reviews/ where you can read vs other product comparisons in great depth. These are professional reviewers that use test units rather than purchasing the cellphones from the market.
Different sites work in different ways. For example, some websites just allow users to enter the brand and product of two different cellphones in the search bar and the comparison tool generates a side-by-side comparison of the standard set of specifications for the user to see. This is a fast method where you don’t have to mentally remember details of how much RAM cell phone a hand and cell phone B had. As specifications keep increasing and acronyms become complex like Gorilla Glass 6 and Bluetooth 5.0, it becomes very difficult to remember and compare the two cell phones.
A side by side visual tool allows easy comparison in all such cases.
Also, there are websites that have written reviews rather than side by side visual tools. For example, they will categorize the complete review in different sections like build and design, speaker, camera, connectivity, and then end the review with a verdict of which one is a better cell phone. They are time-consuming but offer more insight.
Watching Video Reviews
There are several new ways of making hands-on reviews, unboxing reviews, and usage reviews. A lot of video and content creators in the tech industry focus on electronic products like cell phones. In this type of review, they compare two or more cellphones and guide you through the pros and cons right in front of your eyes. Most of the time, you can find in-depth video reviews targeted towards a particular cell phone.
Thus, it means, if you wish to compare two cell phones, you have to watch two videos and that is all. In a video, you can look at the UI, the performance, listen to the speakers, check the actual performance that is impossible to relay in a written review. Despite written reviews using plots, graphs, and benchmarks, watching a cell phone work in front of your eyes helps more.
Example of a Quick Comparison of Two Cell Phones
Start with the budget and check if they are competitive at the price point. If yes, then you can go forward. The confusion occurs when two brands are offering very similarly specced cellphones at nearly the same price. To break the tie, one must look into other aspects.
- First, check the CPU. There are different vendors like Snapdragon, Mediatek and so on. Check the nm (nanometer) and version number. A recent one is a power-efficient and higher number if more powerful.
- Second, check the RAM. The higher RAM will run smoother in daily activities. Cell Phones with higher RAM are more responsive in general, given they are running the same operating system version.
- Third, check for the hard disk. Most cell phones come with fixed internal storage, so higher storage is always better. Next, see if it’s a new type. For example, UFS type 2.0 is better than 1.0.
- Then, check for the cameras. One important aspect is the camera system. These days’ cellphones have both rear and front cameras. They have different types like a wide-angle, super-wide, macro lens and so much more.
- Check the display itself. This is the most important part. An LED display with a higher resolution is better. Then, there are OLED and AMOLED displays.
Once, the entire above is done, go for the speakers. You are going to use them all the time and bad speakers are a bad deal right from the start.