The world of the internet is a gold mine for various resources. You can pick a ton of learning resources when you’re a student, DIY tutorials for when you need a quick fix and don’t forget the social aspect that keeps users coming back for more. Connection and accessibility are made more comfortable because of the internet. The adage, “when it’s uploaded on the internet, it lasts forever,” rings true to this purpose. When one user saves a file of your resource, it can now be shared with millions and millions of people. Much more skilled individuals soon developed software where one user can access large files to another which became the all-too-familiar torrents. below in this article, we will cover the Everything You Need To Know About Torrents.
Torrents in a nutshell
Computer-literate individuals have heard or at least encountered the terminology, “torrents.” Although some have taken the liberty to download large files through torrents, a lot of people would admit that they don’t know what torrents are.
Torrents are computer files that house metadata for various information. It comes with an extension, “.torrent” however, it does not have the data you need. There are a lot of torrent clients that you can use to download a file. You have uTorrent, Transmission, BitTorrent and many more.
As convenient as it may seem, there are copyrighted materials that are being downloaded illegally. When taken into the legal processes, downloading files through torrents is frowned upon by copyright owners and content creators.
Torrents and how they work
Seeing that torrents hold fragments of the data you need, we can safely assume that torrents act as the key for the actual download of the file you want. These can be books, music, documents, files and more. With the torrent file extension, you can now start downloading it through your preferred software. Once opened or accessed, the torrent will locate addresses of seeders that share the corresponding file you want to download. Once a direct connection is made, the download can start.
In reality, torrents can be downloaded in pieces or parts. This makes it possible for a large file to be downloaded for a specific course of time (if your internet connection does not guarantee a same-day download) because it can be put together as a whole later.
Downloading torrents for use on Mac
One of the great barriers that torrents break is sharing content despite using different computers. Those who use Windows can share files with Mac users and vice versa. If you are a Mac user and want to access extensive data or resources, you can opt to download a torrent software like Utorrent for Mac. Here’s how.
- For the first step, you need to download a torrent file that you can search on torrent websites. Instead of the conventional Google search, you utilize various torrent search engines for a torrent file.
- With the help of a torrent search engine, look for the file you want to download. Once you have looked for a safe file to access, download it and save it on your computer.
- Using the torrent software initially installed on your Mac device such as Utorrent, drag and drop the torrent file you just downloaded and choose what folder will the download be directed to.
- The torrent client will look for seeders, and the file transfer will start. You can wait for the download while working on other tasks as it can run in the background. Once an indicator tells you that the download is complete, you can access the file and use it.
Helpful tips when downloading torrents
Since a seeder or a torrent user can host a file for someone to download, copyright holders frown upon the illegal use of content. People, wherever they are in the world, can share, upload and download large files whenever, wherever. This convenience leads to illegal use of the content. Thus, people are practicing ethical and safe use of torrents. To avoid having to deal with copyright infringement, here are some tips you can follow:
- Download torrents on legal torrent sites.
- Adjust your torrent client settings to hide your real IP address.
- Avoid malware, virus, and other harmful content by using torrent sites that are trusted and popular with other users.
- Utilize a VPN for downloads. It encrypts your data before it is shared on the internet as you act as a seeder for another user to download.
With torrents, sharing and file-hosting become a collaborative effort that everyone gets to enjoy. The practice of safe internet use and privacy measures makes a user reap the benefits of file-sharing without the worry of copyright infringement.